Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pitfall : Executing wrong emu

I have wasted 5 hours today in executing wrong emu image and wondering why my changes are not producing any results. This was such a stupid and unexpected mistake that I never considered it.

I have copied the source code from it's initial compilation location to the new location. I did modified the script which starts the emu to point at correct emu image, and also use correct inferno root fs. But I forgot to change the root path variable in mkconfig. All my changes were affecting emu image in old location, while I was running emu image in new location for testing purpose.

So, whenever you copy inferno source-code base, remember to adjust following paths.

  1. The root path variable in mkconfig file. This is absolute path, which means you have to edit it.

  2. $PATH variable that you modify to include Linux/386/bin so that compilation tools like mk can be found.

  3. For running, you need path to the Linux/bin/emu generated after compilation.

  4. For running, you also need a path to the inferno_root filesystem as command line parameter to emu

No comments:

Post a Comment